Monday, September 6, 2010

Top 10 Places to Buy Zojirushi Mr. Bento Stainless Steel Lunch Jar


Over All Rating Reviews :
Unlike many reviewers for this product, I'm a dedicated bring-your-own lunch person -- I've been making my own lunches since college. I used to bring lunch in a Ziploc bag or sealed plastic container, and for a while I had a lightly-insulated soft lunch"box". Usually I didn't have trouble, but sometimes things would leak or get squashed. When I started riding my bike to work and going all over the place on public transit, I really wanted something that would never leak out of its container, and would be easy to carry in a backpack or by hand. I also needed something that would hold quite a bit of food because I tend to get hungry in the afternoon and eating work-supplied popcorn and soda is not how I want to get my calories.

So far I've been very happy with the Mr. Bento container. It's easy to carry -- it fits right into my backpack, which my lunchbox and many plastic containers were a bit too wide for. I can also easily carry it in hand if I am walking from the train to work -- it is not uncomfortably heavy. It holds enough food for a big lunch and a snack. I've packed soup several times, as well as foods with some liquid (like fruit cobbler -- yum!) in the smaller side containers, and everything stays clean and inside the container. A bagel even fits whole into the main container and makes a great side with soup.

I tried the insulating properties the first day that I used it and wasn't incredibly impressed. My soup was still quite warm but not hot and other containers were not that warm. However, it's possible that I just did not prepare the jar or the food properly. Since I am pressed for time in the morning, but not at lunchtime, and I have access to a microwave, I usually just heat my food at work, and haven't tried the insulation since then. I don't microwave food in the bowls, although it says you can if you leave the lids off, because I have had bad luck in the past with various plastic containers getting a little "cooked" (crisp and bubbly) in the microwave, so I just don't heat stuff in plastic anymore. We have plenty of bowls at work, luckily.

An unforeseen benefit is that I am getting excited about packing my lunches again. When I started out making my lunch I put more work into it, but I got bored after a while and started just grabbing some leftovers and maybe some fruit for work, or just a sandwich and fruit. Now I am willing to get up a little earlier and cut up fruit or veggies and prepare something for the side, so I get more variety, which also means I am more satisfied and better nourished. I love to unpack my lunch and look at all my food before I settle down to eat. I am excited about learning to do some true bento-style lunches in the future too, and maybe even using it for breakfast on the go!

I highly recommend this lunchbox for anyone who's serious about bringing lunch to work or school, and especially anyone who already does, but wants to make lunch fun again. I would have given it five stars except for three things:

- The soup container is too small and there is no other option for something that's mostly liquid. I sometimes like a lot of soup at lunchtime and I can't do that with this box.
- The temperature maintenance did not impress me right away.
- The containers are not dishwasher safe. This doesn't matter to me since I don't have a dishwasher, but it is a big deal for a lot of people.
[Update 11/20/06] - The metallic finish on the outside of the jar is "painted" and can be scratched. This just happened to me recently and I wish they had just left it plain; I am worried now that all the paint will peel off. But this is purely cosmetic.
[Update 12/20/07] - No more scratches have appeared un the finish, and I am still using and loving my Mr. Bento nearly every day. However, I have gotten a bit bored of making lunch again!

But overall, it is a quality product and excellent way to bring satisfying lunches with you when you travel. I am still loving it and using it nearly every day more than a month after the original review date. Friends I have given it to as a gift have also raved about it!
Get more detail about Zojirushi Mr. Bento Stainless Steel Lunch Jar.


!: Discount 65 Lcd HDTV !: Bestcheapmall.com. Price comparison shopping







No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Français Deutsch Italiano Português
Español 日本語 한국의 中国简体。